If you’re looking for the best device for listening to audiobooks then you’ve come to the right place. We’ve compiled top options you should consider along with exactly what you need to know…
Read This First
If you already have a smartphone, that is probably the best device for this application. Simply get an Audible subscription along with the App on your phone and its super easy to listen to audiobooks at ANY time.
This article covers alternative devices that are worth checking out if you can’t do this or don’t have a smart phone for any reason. Check them out below…
Features You Must Consider
Even though a larger screen size can make a device heavier and bulkier, some people like that they also make it easier for them to control their audiobook. This not only allows users to play, pause, skip forward, and go backwards, but also to shop for a new audiobook.
Smaller screens aren’t necessarily less expensive, nor are they only used on lower quality devices. It’s all personal preference when choosing a screen size.
Most of the time people will be listening to audiobooks when they are working out, on a walk, or commuting to work. For this reason, it’s a good idea to make sure to choose a device that is compact and light enough that it can easily be carried and used on the go. Heavier options are better for use in the home or classroom.
The amount of storage that a device has can vary greatly, but since audiobooks can take up a lot of storage, it’s important to consider how much storage the device offers. Larger size ranges from 8GB and up are a better option than smaller storage sizes.
Any audiophile or person who has audio sensitivity will want to make sure that the device they buy won’t be bothersome when listening to an audiobook. Unfortunately, some devices simply don’t offer the same great listening experience as others do.
Audiobooks are incredibly long, and to be able to make it through one without having to recharge the device several times will reduce frustration. A long lasting battery is one of the most important things to consider when shopping.
Being able to download audiobooks on the go makes it much easier for people to listen to the one that they want to hear. A device that is WIFI enabled makes it possible to download books from the internet, while one that has Bluetooth connectivity makes transferring files easy.
It can be very frustrating, when listening to an audiobook to have to start back over because the device didn’t bookmark the page. A bookmarking feature allows users to pick back up at the desired chapter or page quickly and easily.
Best Device for Listening to Audiobooks
Designed to not only play music and read audiobooks, but also to record voice and play the radio, this powerful piece of electronic equipment is a great option for anyone who loves to listen to audiobooks on the go. It has 5 operation buttons that make controlling the device incredibly easy, which is great for users of all skill levels to enjoy.
- Features an impressive 8GB memory capacity and can be used with a 128MG Micro SD Card
- Offers 70 hours of playtime on a single charge
- Supports multiple different file types to ensure that users fully enjoy their experience
- Only weighs 1.1 ounces, making it a great option to use while playing sports
- Features a shock absorbent surface to resist damage if it is dropped
- Some users find it frustrating to have to go into the menu to adjust the volume
- Sound quality isn’t always as clear as other options
Perfect for taking to the gym, wearing on public transportation, or just relaxing at the end of a long day, this player is a wonderful option for listening to audiobooks. It’s very easy to upload audiobooks to the player, and since it has so much memory, there is very little chance of running out of storage space.
- Easily connects to computers thanks to the powerful USB cable
- Built-in Li-ion battery makes charging it with a computer or wall outlet fast and easy
- Included instructions are very clear and make it possible for users to easily operate the player
- Features 16GB of built-in storage, which makes it great for downloading multiple audiobooks
- On/off button is easy to access for fast control
- Can be difficult for some users to connect to a Mac computer
- Battery life tends to decrease quickly over the life of the player
Apple has always been a leader in making electronics to fit the needs of their customers, and the iPod Nano 7th generation is no exception. It’s perfect for use with a pair of great headphones or earbuds and is small and light enough to fit in a pocket when on a commute or on a run without weighing the person down or accidentally bouncing out on the go.
- Incredibly lightweight and portable, making it great for users who are on the go
- Great internal storage even though it is such a small size
- Impressive battery power allows users to enjoy listening to audiobooks without worrying about charging
- Touchscreen is intuitive and easy to use
- Does a great job playing music and audiobooks without a lot of extra features that can make using an MP3 player tricky
- Doesn’t come with a bookmarking feature, making it easy to lose place in a book
- Doesn’t have WIFI connectivity
Small, yet mighty, this MP3 player is very easy to control and has a screen that is large and easy to read, making it a good option for most anyone who wants to listen to an audiobook. It’s so lightweight that it is easy to forget that it is in a pocket, but it is durable enough to survive most falls without breaking.
- Can be used with an optional 64GB card for even more memory
- Simple interface is easy for most people to understand how to use and to control
- Allows for voice recording, viewing photos, and watching videos
- It’s easy to transfer music and audiobooks to the MP3 player from the computer
- 1.8” LCD screen is large enough for most people to be able to easily see what they are doing
- Included earbuds aren’t very high quality and need to be replaced
- Doesn’t have a lot of internal memory and needs the external card for best use
Even though this MP3 player doesn’t have WIFI, it’s still very easy for users to load audiobooks and songs to it when they want to listen to something on the go. It’s a smaller unit, which is great for anyone who wants something that won’t get in the way. Since there aren’t any apps to deal with, it’s easy for most users to handle.
- Offers a full and rich sound when listening to audiobooks and music
- Ambient sound mode permits listeners to be aware of their surroundings
- Features 16GB of built-in memory
- Offers up to 45 hours of playback on a single charge, which is great for long commutes or trips
- NFC One touch offers fast and reliable Bluetooth connectivity
- Battery life can decrease greatly as the equipment ages
- The screen is not very durable and is easy to accidentally scratch
One of the best features of this MP3 player is how easy it is to control, which means that all users, no matter how comfortable they are with electronics, can easily handle listening to audiobooks on it. It’s incredibly responsive, and doesn’t have a lot of lag.
This is an old-school device, but if you can still get one it’s fantastic.
- WIFI connectivity makes it easy to download music and audiobooks
- Comes with access to HD Radio for local stations with no fee
- Large screen is very easy to control
- Interface is easy for users to understand, which is great for people who are not savvy with electronics
- Sleek design is comfortable to hold and slips easily into a pocket
- Needs to be charged for 30 minutes before use and owners must make sure to update software regularly
- Headphones won’t work if not securely inserted into the jack, which means they can sometimes slip out
Not only does this small device work well for use on the go and at home, but it is incredibly easy to use and connects and responds to computers quickly. This means that users won’t have to spend as much time worrying about connecting their player to upload books and can spend more time enjoying listening to them.
- Impressive technology prevents the listener from suffering from external noise and distraction when using this player
- Only weighs 0.8 ounces, making it suitable for many different uses
- The special clip on the player ensures that it will stay in place during activities
- Multiple functions are available so the player can be used for more than simply listening to audiobooks
- Large screen makes controlling the player and selecting a book easier than ever
- Bluetooth connection is not always very reliable
- Small size of the unit makes it difficult for some adults to operate
This is a great option for anyone who loves to listen to audiobooks, as it has an amazing storage capacity of 128 GB, which provides more than enough space for multiple audiobooks. The lightweight design of the device, as well as the clear display, makes it easy to take and use on the go.
- Large 4” retina display is one of the biggest on the market, which is great for users who struggle to see and use smaller screens
- Long lasting battery allows for hours of use on a single charge
- Users can easily access a variety of different audiobook apps
- Apple has a great reputation for taking care of problems with their electronics
- Features both WIFI and Bluetooth connectivity
- Screen can easily break if dropped on something hard
- Too many apps can make this option overwhelming for some users
Remember that a smart device (phone, tablet, etc) along with an audible subscription is probably the easiest option to listen to audiobooks on the go. Most of these devices will require loading up an mp3 version of an audiobook to your device which is way less convenient.